Through environmental education, students of all ages throughout the Barnegat Bay watershed and beyond gain an understanding of how their individual actions affect the environment, learn what they can do to make a positive impact, and become better equipped to spread that message to others. There are numerous resources for educators teaching their students about the Barnegat Bay estuary and its watershed.
If you don’t find what you’re looking for here, or know of a new resource or opportunity for educators who want to incorporate information about the natural world into their lessons, please contact the Barnegat Bay Partnersip.
The Barnegat Bay Watershed
Educational Resource Guide
This comprehensive booklet (updated version available for download) was created as your one-stop guide for all educational resources related to Barnegat Bay watershed education. What began as a simple directory has grown into a compendium of resources and organizations offering numerous programs, publications, field trips, and watershed information that educators can incorporate into their lessons and activities.
Download the Barnegat Bay Watershed Educational Resource Guide
In additon to the Barnegat Bay Environmental Resource Guide, you may also browse our list of local and regional environmental education resources.
Available Curricula, Lesson Plans, and Teaching Resources
- Guardians of Barnegat Bay: Video on YouTube (for a DVD contact the BBP office)
- Barnegat Bay Species Online Field Guide
- What the bay HINGES on: An educational activity guide on the ecological and cultural importance of shellfish and their restoration
- Barnegat Bay Shellfish Facts
- Invasive Species Integrated Curriculum Unit for middle school students
- Water Conservation Education Project (sample lessons)
- The Pine Barrens: Up Close & Natural Inquiry-Based Curriculum
- New Jersey Pinelands Commission Online Curriculum Guides
- Interpretive Programs (Primary through Adult) at the Forest Resource Education Center
- Learning About the Barnegat Bay Watershed Curriculum Guide for K-3 Teachers
- Borrow a Discovering Barnegat Bay Tool-Kit (contact the BBP)
Professional Development Opportunities
The Barnegat Bay Environmental Educators’ Roundtable (annual event)
Marine Activities, Resources, and Education (M.A.R.E) Summer Institute
Jacques Cousteau National Estuarine Research Reserve Education Programs
New Jersey Audubon Society Programs for the Education Community
New Jersey Sea Grant Consortium Resources for Educators
Alliance for New Jersey Environmental Education
Center for Ecoliteracy
Cloud Institute for Sustainability Education
New Jersey State Environmental Education Directory (SEEDS)
The Green Teacher
USEPA – Environmental Education
USEPA Watershed Academy